Drive Safe - Defensive Driving
At Penrith Driving School teaching our students to drive safe is a top priority during our driving lessons. Why ? because there are so many unsafe irresponsible drivers (driving idiots) on the road.
Drive Defensively To Be Safe
Some of what we teach our students is to:
- Drive to what you see: all your driving should be based on your vision, never make decisions or assume unless you can see properly.
- Drive to the road and weather conditions: consider the road or weather conditions and reduce your speed.
- Be aware of your surroundings: continually monitoring and observing by scanning in front, behind and to the sides.
- Learn the importance of defensive driving: Learning to read the traffic by identifying potential hazards to reduce risks.
- Don’t trust other drivers: Learn to understand car road positioning of other cars for decision making.
- Keep a safe distance to vehicles: maintaining a safe following distance allows for response preparation and reaction times.
- Make time for quality practice: take driving seriously and learn properly.
Observe Dangerous Driving
Here is a video of what we see on a daily basis from driving school car. You will observe:
- Driving over the speed limit on suburban roads
- Illegal overtaking
- Dangerous overtaking
- Dangerous young drivers
- Illegal turns
- Overtaking in the left lane
- Lots of speeding
Tips for Defensive Driving
- Recognise a hazard
- Reduce risks
- Drive to the conditions
- Keep distance
- Stay alert
- Avoid distractions
- Have very good driving skills
- Ensure the car is roadworthy and operational
- Recognise the signs of driver fatigue